APERETIF @ LA VARENNE

Sunday 8 February 2015

Happy hours in Doha just got very, very tasty...

At the beginning of last week, an email landed in my inbox from the lovely Frances at La Varenne, very kindly inviting me to come and sample their brand new happy hour, 'Aperetif'.

Between 5pm and 7pm, Sunday to Thursday, you can head to La Varenne for a selection of signature hors d'oeuvres and sweet treats from the dessert trolley, along with a selected beverage, for 40QR. For someone like me, who enjoys her food far more than her alcohol, this happy hour concept really appeals to me (and my stomach!). The fact that I pass La Varenne - situated in the Tornado Tower, City Centre - on my way home from work is particularly convenient, although potentially dangerous for my waistline...

Accompanied by Jemma, we popped in for the final hour of the Aperetif sitting after work on Wednesday, where Rosalyn and hubby to be Rich had saved us space at their table.


Having arrived at the start of the sitting, they had already tucked in to their selection, so when the trolley arrived it signalled the turn of Jemma and I to pick our nibbles, and our beverages.

The drinks selection is surprisingly vast, with four cocktails, four mocktails, wine, cider, beer and spirits to choose from.


Once you've picked your poison (Jemma and I both opted for the Berry Express mocktails, which were delicious and beautifully presented), it's on to the main event - the hors d'oeuvres!




Being that my main loves in life (family, friends and boyfriend aside!) are cheese and chocolate, I thought it only fair to opt for two cheese savoury options, and two naughty chocolate numbers from the dessert trolley.

They were all lovely, but the highlights for me were the roquefort with caramelised onion pastry puff (technical term...!) and the milk chocolate fudge.


As you can see, the hors d'oeuvres are only bitesize (or they were for me, I devoured them so quickly!), so this would make an ideal spot to meet friends after work for a quiet drink and something to tide you over until you arrive home to make dinner. Alternatively, you could always stay on to dine at La Varenne!

I really like this sophisticated twist on the standard happy hours available elsewhere in Doha, particularly as the selection of hors d'oeuvres changes daily, so you are in for a new surprise each time you visit.

Priced at only 40QR, I know that this is a place I will aim to frequent a lot more after work going forward!

I will leave you with a photo of the Valentines cow currently taking pride of place between La Varenne and the Anvil Rooms!


For reservations, email: reservations@lavarenne.qa or call +974 4499 0680



No comments:

Post a Comment