Week one...so far

Monday 5 August 2013

Today was my second full day of work, and it started out badly.

As part of our relocation, my company pays for a car to take us to and from work for the first two weeks. In theory this should be wonderful, in practise its more trouble than its worth. I phoned the number last night to pre book my car for this morning, which it transpires is not possible. They told me 'call back tomorrow morning at 6am' before rudely putting the phone down on me.

So I set my alarm for 6am, make the call, and get told to call back at 7am, before rudely putting the phone down on me once again.

So I set my alarm for 7am....and they ask me why I want a car, so I tell them it's for work, ask for a 9am pick up...wait patiently at reception, and does my car show up? No of course not. Yet my male colleague had a car pick up for half 9, no problem. Infuriating! So I had to ask the hotel to hail me a blue cab (super cheap - I paid 12 riyal, a little over £2) but I could have saved myself the hideous early start (and the phone charges from my hotel phone!) Although it did get me out of bed and up and in the pool for a lovely early morning swim.

We went to a colleagues house earlier in the week to see his apartment in the luxurious Beverley Hills tower. I had a glass of wine, the guys had bottles of beer, and we watched the news (riveting, I hear you say)..all things I strangely missed despite not even being gone for a whole week. He gave us the grand tour, including the pool which looks lovely...

We walked the short but incredibly warm journey back to our hotel and I took a few snaps of the city (il take better ones on my Lumix cam when I settle in a bit more)

Last night I had a little bout of home sickness and decided to work it out in the hotel gym, which helped so much. The view from the treadmill isn't half bad...

Before heading back to my 'home', which I must admit I'm pretty fond of!

Ramadan finishes on Thursday so I'm hoping a group of us will be heading out after work to find a bar that's open - it's been absolutely surreal taking part in the 'fasting' - although we cheat and go for 'meetings' (lunch) ! Not being able to sip water all day isn't great though..my skin isn't thanking me for it one bit.

Eid is the next holiday, and I hear there are fireworks so me and my trusty camera will be heading to watch these, work permitting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment